Dec 13, 2011

Replica

Oneohtrix Point Never



Noise. Ambient, droning noise. That was my first reaction to Replica, Daniel Lopatin’s (a.k.a. Oneohtrix Point Never) latest album. After a couple listens through, I finally gained a little perspective on the album. The truth is it’s a tough album to listen to unless ambient music is your scene. Unfortunately, it’s not mine. I’m not the kind of person that can listen to ambient music and have a good time or really enjoy it for what it is. Here, Lopatin gives us 10 tracks using only vintage synthesizers and drew much of his sounds from a plethora of commercials from 1985-1993.

The album wasn’t a total bust for me though. In fact, when imagining Replica as a soundtrack to a dark indie movie, it works a lot better. So that’s what I did on my second listen to the album and I found myself enjoying it more. The swirling piano loops on “Power of Persuasion” pull you into a haunted haze of uncertainty and the eerie keyboard note sequences, exhalations, and ominous voice on “Sleep Dealer” only adds to the uncertainty, making it more interesting and slightly creepy.

While Replica as an album was not my cup of tea, it also wasn’t the worst thing I’ve ever heard. I won’t be rushing back to listen to it any time soon, but I also wouldn’t discourage anyone from giving it a chance. If ambient, droning synthesizers are your thing then Replica deserves your attention.

Recommended Tracks: “Power of Persuasion”, “Sleep Dealer”


No comments:

Post a Comment